"I love the Lord, because He has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because He inclined His ear to me, therefore I will call on Him as long as I live. The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish. Then I called on the name of the Lord: "O Lord, I pray, deliver my soul." Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; our God is merciful. The Lord preserves the simple; when I was brought low, He saved me." Psalm 116: 1-6
How many have heard this sonnet from Elizabeth Barrett Browning = "How do I love thee, let me count the ways." That is talking about the relationship between a man and a woman. But the Psalmist is saying that to the Lord! He comes right out and says - "I love the Lord! Why do you love the Lord? What is the reason that you love Jesus? Why do you worship and praise the Lord? Why have you given your life to the Lord?
How do I love the Lord? Let me count the ways. We see the Psalmist gives us some reasons to love the Lord.
* I love the Lord because He hears my voice and my pleas for mercy. When we pray to the Lord we are not praying to a God that does not hear us, but to One that hears every word, every prayer, every cry, every moan, every thought. That is a God that is worthy of our love, lives and devotion. The Lord hears you today!
* I love the Lord because "inclined His ear to me, therefore I will call on Him as long as I live." The Lord does not have selective hearing, but inclined means: He listens attentively, intently, He is ready to listen to us every time we call on Him. What a wonderful God that we serve that He is ready to listen to us today! Just start calling on the Lord and He will never put you on hold, He is just waiting for you to call!
* I love the because when I go through the deepest sorrows of life, when life is full of distress and anguish. He is there to deliver my soul, when I call out to Him. There are things in life that we cannot change, but the Lord can deliver us from the pain of that tragedy, trial and lift us out of the distress and anguish.
* I love the Lord because He is gracious, righteous and merciful towards me! I am thankful that I do not get what I deserve from the Lord! He is always gracious, but He is always righteous, and is always merciful. That is a God that is worth loving today and as long as I live.
* I love the Lord because He saved ME! If there was nothing more that the Lord does for us! I will love the Lord because He died on the Cross to forgive me of all my sins!
Can we say like the Psalmist today: "I love the Lord?" Today why not stop and count the many ways why you should love the Lord!
Connecting with you,