"Praise the Lord! I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation. Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delights in them. Full of splendor and majesty is his work, and His righteousness endures forever. He has caused His wondrous works to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and merciful. He provides food for those who fear Him; He remembers His covenant forever....The works of His hands are faithful and just; all His precepts are trustworthy; they are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness. He sent redemption to HIs people, He has commanded His covenant forever. Holy and awesome is His name." Psalm 111
When I was a little child my parents taught us this little prayer when we would pray over our food. "God is great, God is good and we thank Him for our food. Amen". When we get older we forget that God is Great and God is Good! God is great is referring to His greatness, His power, His bigness over our lives and situations. God is good refers to that God is good to us. We may not see it as good right now, but God is always great and God is always good.
The Psalmist tells us in Psalms 111 - that God is great and God is good! That is why we should give thanks to the Lord with our whole hearts - because God is Great and God is Good!
Great - means remarkable or outstanding. We need to think and begin to give thanks to the Lord for His greatness! In sports they talk about the GOAT (Greatest of all times). In Basketball is it Michael Jordan or Lebron James? In football is it Joe Montana or Tom Brady? We can discuss pro's and con's of each person. But God is the GOAT! God is and always will be the greatest of all times! There is no one that compares to Him. God is great! So when we feel that God has failed, deserted us, or rejected us! God is great! God is all powerful, all knowing, and is the GOAT!
Good means - how God deals with us and it is always for our good. Look at how God is good to us:
* God is gracious to us! God does not give us what we deserve but is gracious and kind towards us.
* God is merciful to us! God forgives us of all of our sin!
* God provides for us! God provides for all of our needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
* God remembers His covenant with us! He remembers us and takes care of us!
* God is trustworthy! We can trust Him at all times, because He will never fail!
* God sent redemption to us when we wanted nothing to do with Him. God sent His One and Only Son into the world to forgive us of all our sins.
Today, just pause and realize that God is great and God is good!