"Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God...who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets prisoners free; the Lord opens the eyes of the blind. The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down; the Lord love the righteous. The Lord watches over the sojourners, he upholds the widow and the fatherless...." Psalm 146: 5, 7-9
In Psalm 146: 1-5: we are to praise the Lord because of who He is and that He gives us His presence continually. We praise the Lord because He is always trustworthy.
But then in verses 7-9, we should praise the Lord today because of all the help that the Lord gives to us continually. We need to stop and realize that the Lord is helping us in our daily lives.
How does the Lord help us?
* God upholds us when we are oppressed. What is oppressing you right now. Oppression comes from external things that are trying to cause depression to come into our lives. Does it feel like we are being squeezed by life, circumstances, pandemic, by the lack of work, by family situations, then we need to run to the Lord for His help, because He is the only One that can help those who are oppressed.
* God gives food to the hungry. The Lord wants us to know that He is our provider of everything we need for life. He provides for us materially, but more than material provision the Lord provides for us spiritually, and emotionally. God's Word tells us - "I have never seen the righteous forsaken or his seed begging bread. The Lord is our provider today!
* God sets prisoners free. We may not be in a jail, but too many people are in a prison of anger, bitterness, unforgiveness and it keeps us all locked up. Today, the Lord has the keys to unlock your prison and allow you to walk out into freedom.
* God gives sight to the blind. This is not just the need for physical eyesight. But what has blinded us to the life that God has promised us: "I have come that you might have life and have it more abundantly." What has blinded your insight? God wants to touch your eyes today, to see things clearly.
* God lifts those who are down and out. Are you overwhelmed by life, marriage and family problems? Are you discouraged and defeated, then the Lord is the One that wants to help lift you up again.
* God loves the righteous! This is not self-righteous people, but people that are righteous because they are in a right relationship with Jesus! "If we draw near to Him, He will draw near to us.
* God watches over the sojourners, widows and the fatherless in our world. You may be all alone today, you may be someone that feels no one cares about you. But the Lord is watching over us today.
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in the time of trouble." Today, help me to run to the Lord is able and willing to help ME in life! Why would I not run to Him, right now?