"And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food and with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved." Acts 2: 44-47
Why was the Early Church making such an impact in their city? And is it possible for the church today to make an impact on our city? What are the priorities of the Early Church?
* Unity - "All who believed were together and had all things in common." Everything functions better when there is unity in a marriage, family, church, workplace, city and a nation, when there is unity. Nothing is harder then when their is disunity. We read in Psalm 133: 1, 3 - "Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity. "....For there the Lord has commanded blessing, life forevermore." We need to make the choice to be united if we want God's blessing in our lives!
* Generosity - "And they were selling their possessions and belongings and giving them away to those who were in need." Another priority is being generous and giving. The heart of God is generosity and if we are going to be like our Heavenly Father, then we need to be generous towards God's Kingdom! God's Word tells us that we will reap what we sow. So if you want a harvest you need to sow!
* Worship - "And day by day, attending the temple together." Worshipping together was a priority in the Early Church. But something happens when we make worshipping together a priority. Thank the Lord for social media and Online Church, but let us never make that a priority over not assembling ourselves together. We need the Church, and the Church needs us! "Where two or three are gathered together, there am I in the midst of them."
* Fellowship/Friendship - "Breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts." We need connection if we are going to make it in our spiritual journey. We are a part of a body and need all the other parts of the body.
* Evangelism - when the church is doing what God wants then growth and people will come to Jesus Christ. "And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved." When the Church does what God wants it to do, then God will bring the people in, and they will get saved.
Lord, help us at ICC to do our part and then see You do Your part! The saving of people all over Staten Island!